Think of the life-changing events you’ve experienced during your years on this planet. You may think about walking down an aisle. You may think about when you received the call that said you were hired for your dream job. Probably one of your most memorable events was when you welcomed a baby into the world.
Here are some short quotes about babies to welcome a new baby into the family. You can use them as Facebook posts, to write in cards, or to display in a nursery.
Jump ahead to these sections:
- Quotes to Welcome a Baby Boy
- Quotes to Welcome a Baby Girl
- Funny Quotes About Babies
- Quotes for Baby Announcements
- Quotes to Remember a Baby Who Passed Away
- Rainbow Baby Quotes
- More Quotes for a Baby Announcement
- Quotes for a Baby’s Baptism
- Quotes About Babies Growing Up
- Quotes About Having a Baby
We will also give you quotes to help you express the heartbreak that comes with losing a baby.
Quotes to Welcome a Baby Boy
How do you express the delight of bringing a baby boy into the world? Here are some of the ways our best writers and poets were able to describe it.
1. “There is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart.” —Washington Irving
American author Washington Irving was known for writing Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. He must have experienced great love from his mother to have written such a poignant quote.
2. “Sons are born to make their fathers better men.” —Mekael Shane
How many times have you seen what is described in this quote happen in real life? You may wonder how an immature kid who always seems to make poor decisions will ever be able to raise a child. Somehow, many of those immature kids turn into amazing fathers.
3. “If I have a monument in this world, it is my son.” —Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou must have thought a lot about her son. After all, one would think that Maya Angelou’s poetry would act as her most significant monument.
4. “Men are what their mothers made them.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
For some reason, people are quick to laud fathers for raising good sons. Ralph Waldo Emerson thinks the credit (or blame) should be given to the mothers.
5. “You are loved for the boy you are, the man you will become, and the precious son you will always be.” —Anonymous
We think this would make a lovely saying to hang in a little boy’s room. When he learns to read, he will know that he was always loved and will always be loved.
» MORE: Grief can be lonely. Create space for your community to share memories and tributes with a free online memorial from Cake.
Quotes to Welcome a Baby Girl
Did you or someone you know recently welcome a little girl into the world? It may be outdated to refer to girls as “sugar and spice and everything nice” so here are some other quotes to use to describe the birth of a girl.
6. “Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of.” —Bethany Hamilton
American surfer Bethany Hamilton updated the old quote to describe what little girls are made of. Hamilton is known as the surfer who returned to the sport after being attacked by a shark.
7. “She stands firmly on her own two feet, and I just behind her; should she ever need me.” —J. Iron Word
Most women want to raise strong, self-sufficient daughters. This quote reflects how the mother fits into that relationship.
8. “No daughter and mother ever live apart, no matter what the distance between them.” —Christie Watson
Of course, when you first have a baby, you can’t imagine a time when you wouldn’t see your daughter every day. Regardless, it’s helpful to know that the mother/daughter bond can withstand even a great distance.
9. “Words can not express the joy of new life.” —Hermann Hesse
Boy or girl, the birth of a baby brings such joy. Hermann Hesse was a German novelist.
10. “The happiest days are when babies come.” —Miss Melly in Gone With the Wind
Those who remember the 1939 classic, “Gone With the Wind,” may remember this quote that Miss Melly said to Mammy after Scarlett gave birth to a little girl.
Funny Quotes About Babies
Babies are amazing miracles, great blessings, and a lot of work. If you recently had a baby, you are going to have to learn how to develop a sense of humor. Here are some quotes about the lighter side of having babies.
11. “Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby—awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.” by Lemony Snicket
This quote speaks about babies on two levels. We will let you choose whether you want to take the high road or the low road when interpreting this quote.
12. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” —Johnny Depp
Sure, Johnny Depp is known for his quirky behavior, but he was able to hit the nail on the head with this quote.
13. “Ah, babies! They’re more than just adorable little creatures on whom you can blame your farts.” —Tina Fey
At least babies are good for something. We bet you have never met a baby that is any good at vacuuming or washing windows.
14. “You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” —Franklin P. Jones
If you are beginning your life as a mom or dad, you may not be able to imagine a time when your sweet infant will frustrate you. Sorry to tell you, but the time will come when this quote will make a lot more sense to you.
15. “Having a baby is like suddenly getting the world’s worst roommate.” —Anne Lamott
They wake you up at all hours, eat all your food, and at some point, seem to manage to put holes in your walls.
Quotes for Baby Announcements
Are you looking for a touching quote to add to a baby announcement? Here are some to consider. You may think about using one of these quotes to decorate the outside of a baby memory box or box that holds baby keepsakes.
16. “And then my soul saw you, and it said, ‘Oh, there you are. I’ve been looking for you.’” —Anonymous
This quote could be used for many different purposes. You could use it to describe when you met your soulmate for the first time. Of course, it could also be used to describe having a baby.
17. “I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees the sun shining on its cradle.” —Vincent Van Gogh
Who knew that Van Gogh was so poetic?
18. “I love these little people; and it is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us.” —Charles Dickens
We have all felt our heartstring pull when a baby smiles at us. Charles Dickens was right: “it is not a slight thing.”
19. “There are no words that can describe the euphoria you feel when your baby recognizes you for the first time and smiles.” —Jared Padalecki
Infants are said to be able to recognize voices they hear while in the womb. Perhaps this accounts for this early recognition.
20. “Children bring us a piece of heaven on earth.” —Roland Leonhardt
Babies are truly heaven-sent. Hold on to your babies as long as you can.
» MORE: Online obituary that is 100% free. Honor a loved one beyond a newspaper.
Quotes to Remember a Baby Who Passed Away
We would be remiss not to include quotes for those parents who lost a baby. This is one of the hardest things that a person can experience. In fact, you may want to seek counseling if you lost a child or at least read about others’ experiences in books about losing a child.
21. “Any woman who’d ever lost a child knew of the hollowness that remained within the soul.” —Brittainy C. Cherry
“Hollow” is often the descriptive word chosen to describe how one feels when losing a child.
22. “We do not ‘get over’ a death. We learn to carry the grief and integrate the loss in our lives. In our hearts, we carry those who have died. We grieve and we love. We remember.” by Nathalie Himmelrich
Remember the child you lost. After all, your grief comes with love.
23. “I have heard it said that the greatest loss a human being can experience is the loss of a child. This is true. It doesn’t just change you. It demolishes you. The rest of your life is spent on another level.” —Gloria Vanderbilt
Gloria Vanderbilt tragically lost her son Carter when he was only 23. Her experience after this loss is poignant here.
24. “Sweet little flower of heavenly birth, you were too fair to bloom on earth.” —Anonymous
Perhaps you might want to use this sentiment on the headstone for a child.
25. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” —Queen Elizabeth II
This often-used quote seems particularly perfect for someone who lost a child.
Rainbow Baby Quotes
Rainbow babies are those who are born after the miscarriage of another child. While the parents certainly feel joy at the arrival of their baby, that joy could be tinged with sadness.
Here are some quotes about the complex emotions that often arise when a rainbow baby is born:
26. “When we lose one blessing, another is most often unexpectedly given in its place.” C.S. Lewis
C.S. Lewis was a prolific writer best known for “The Chronicles of Narnia” series.
27. “The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow.” Unknown
Here’s a quote for all of the optimists in the world (and the pessimists who would like to change sides).
28. “For this child, we have prayed.” 1 Samuel 1:27-28
In the Bible, Hannah had a difficult time conceiving, which caused her great grief. She was eventually able to have a child, which she named Samuel.
29. “It was the Rainbow give thee birth, and left thee all her lovely hues.” W.H. Davies
Welsh poet W.H. Davies penned these lines in his poem “Kingfisher.”
30. “When the lamp is shattered
The light in the dust lies dead --
When the cloud is scattered
The rainbow’s glory is shed.”
- Percy Bysshe Shelley
Percy Bysshe Shelley fathered six children in his short life.
31. “Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue. And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.” Yip Harburg
Parents who have experienced the loss of a child may interpret the lyrics of this familiar song differently than most.
More Quotes for a Baby Announcement
Are you trying to find a clever way to announce the birth of a baby? Here are some quotes that you might consider using for a baby announcement:
32. “Every baby born into the world is a finer one than the last.” Charles Dickens
We aren’t sure what Dickens was referring to when he used this line in “The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby,” but it might make a good quote for a birth announcement.
33. “Babies are such a nice way to start people.” Don Herold
If babies came out as teenagers, there might be a problem with the world’s population.
34. “Each time a new baby is born there is a possibility of reprieve. Each child is a new being, a potential prophet, a new spiritual prince, a new spark of light precipitated into the outer darkness.” R. D. Laing
Think of all the amazing things your baby may someday accomplish.
35. “When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.” J.M. Barrie
This quote is from Peter Pan and may describe how Tinker Bell came into being.
36. “The childhood shows the man, as morning shows the day.” John Milton
There’s something so hopeful and optimistic about a baby.
37. “Worth the wait.”
If you have experienced trouble while conceiving, this phrase may make an appropriate birth announcement.
38. “You can stop asking when we are going to have a baby now.”
Feeling sarcastic? This might be a fun and witty way to announce a pregnancy.
» MORE: An online memorial is a perfect ending to honor and celebrate someone's life. Create one for free.
Quotes for a Baby’s Baptism
Since baptism is unique to Christians, most of the quotes accompanying a baby’s baptism would come from the Bible. Here are some to consider:
39. “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139
This quote is from the Book of Psalms and reminds believers that God is the creator.
40. “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful.” Psalm 139
New parents look at their children in amazement. This quote is also from the Book of Psalms.
41. “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
What great things will your child accomplish in life?
42. “May the Lord give his angels charge over you, to guide you in all your ways.” Psalm 91:11
It’s scary to raise a baby. Having angels watch over your child will undoubtedly give you a sense of security.
43. “She is far more precious than jewels.” Proverbs 31:10
The love you feel for your child may overwhelm you at times.
44. “Precious one, so small, so sweet, dancing in on angel feet. Straight from heaven’s brightest star, what a miracle you are.” by Unknown
This quote is not from the Bible, but it would be entirely appropriate to write on a card to give to the parents on their child’s baptism day.
45. “Jesus answered, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.’” John 3:5
This quote speaks of salvation when a person is baptized by the Holy Spirit through faith.
46. “Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever fresh and radiant possibility.” Kate Douglas Wiggins
Kate Douglas Wiggins is the author of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.
Quotes About Babies Growing Up
Kids grow up fast. Here are some quotes about how babies grow up quickly. These quotes might accompany birthday or graduation photos on social media posts.
47. “Those little feet won't be little forever.” by Ashlee Edens
The little baby feet you kiss will soon become the gross, stinky feet of a grade-schooler. Kiss those toes while you can.
48. “Motherhood: the days are long but the years are short.” by Gretchen Rubin
Whoever Gretchen Rubin is, she hit the nail on the head with this quote.
49. “You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once.” Polish Proverb
There are many different versions of this quote, but they all ring true.
50. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” Dr. Seuss
This quote rings true for all stages of life. We also need to value the moments we spend with our elderly parents or grandparents.
51. “To be able to watch your children’s children grow up is truly a blessing from above.” by Byron Pulsifer
Byron Pulsifer is a motivational speaker who also wrote several books.
52. “As your kids grow they may forget what you said, but won’t forget how you made them feel.” by Kevin Heath
Do you make your child feel safe, protected, treasured, and loved?
53. “Sometimes the only way to get over the sadness of your kids growing up is to rest in the beauty of the people they are becoming.” by Unknown
We wish we knew who to attribute this quote to because it is most certainly true.
Quotes About Having a Baby
Many funny things have been said about having a baby, but they should not be taken seriously. We hope you enjoy some of these hilarious one-liners as well as the more serious-minded quotes.
54. “Giving birth is like taking your lower lip and forcing it over your head.” Carol Burnett
Leave it to Carol Burnett to describe childbirth so precisely.
55. “Giving birth underwater may be less traumatic for the baby, but it’s more traumatic for the other people in the pool.” Elayne Boosler
Elayne Boosler is an American comedian who was born in Brooklyn.
56. “If you drive, don’t park. Accidents cause people.” by Unknown
You might need to read this quote a second time to fully understand it.
57. “Pregnancy is amazing! To think that you can create a human being just with things you have around the house!” Amy Foster
That’s one way to look at having a baby!
58. “If pregnancy were a book, they’d cut the last two chapters.” Nora Ephron
Thankfully, most women can’t remember the pain after it is over.
59. “Babies have big heads and big eyes and tiny little bodies with tiny arms and legs. So did the aliens at Roswell. I rest my case.” by William Shatner
William Shatner had three children.
60. “Babies are nauseated by the smell of a clean shirt.” Jeff Foxworthy
And those stains aren’t ever coming out.
61. “A baby is God’s opinion that life should go on.” by Carl Sandburg
Carl Sandburg is an American poet.
Other Things to Consider
Hold fast to your infant. The cliche is true: “the days are long, but the years are short.” Before you know it, your infants will be starting school. And that’s when things really start to speed up.
When you hit those rough spots (and you will), tell yourself that this, too, shall pass. Try to be patient. They are only young for a short time.
If you're looking for more, read our guides on baby loss quotes and what to say to someone who lost a baby.